Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Genetics Problem Waiting to Happen


So, if you're following my other blog you'll know that I just finished reading Genesis. Now I realize that what I'm about to write about will give you an unfair advantage on my quiz I just posted, but hey . . .  .  followers of both deserve an edge right? (More like I couldn't wait to share this.) 

So as I was reading, I couldn't help but sketch some geneology charts to help me figure out what was going on. And now that I'm looking at it, I wonder why this never came up in my genetics homework. This stuff is just dying to be a genetics problem.

Look at this tree!


So now my question is . . . how inbred are Jacob's sons? Let's pick Joseph for example. So throw Joseph in there and let's start calculating paths.
Path 1: 9 Steps
Path #2: 9 Steps
Path #3: 10 Steps
Path #4 = 10 Steps
Path #5 = 6 steps
Path #6: 6 steps

Alright, now assuming I got all the paths (which might be a faulty conclusion since I got tired of looking for paths and hoped that was good), here's the math:


Ta-da! Okay . . . So I may have got it wrong 'cause it's been a long time since I had genetics . . . but I think I did well. (Obviously if I made a mistake, please tell me so I can learn.) Also there's apparently harder equations to calculate that inbreeding coefficient, but I decided to stick with the easy one I learned in class.

Also, as a side note Heather at Women in the Scriptures re-posted my post on her blog. It's the article up right now . . . so you could check that out, just to see how awesome that is for me! Plus I finally wrote a small bio about myself. *Cheese*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Testing.