Tuesday, May 22, 2012

And a Little Child Shall Lead Them

Click for the talk

Quote 1: "Now I do know what President Kimball meant."

Thought: But I don't. What did President Kimball mean? Did that boy grow up into someone important? Or does it just have to do with the topic of the talk?

Quote 2: "At night, when I pull the covers over me, I offer a prayer for those who have no warm bed to go to."

Thought: I should add this to my prayers. I don't want to do vain repetitions, but I think as I develop gratitude and empathy this will automatically be added often to my prayers.

Quote 3: “Children are an heritage of the Lord: and … happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them.”

Thought: I love little children. Andrew and I want to give ourselves a little time to get established and then I will take on the duties of Mother. I cannot wait. It will be difficult but it is a duty that Andrew and I know we will have great joy in. Children are wonderful!

Quote 4: "Husbands and wives should understand that their first calling—from which they will never be released—is to one another and then to their children."

Thought: The most important calling we can have is to be a Mother or Father. This has added meaning for me. Since I did not get the opportunity to serve a mission, I comfort myself by remembering that being a mother is like be a full time missionary for a lifetime. The schedule will be similar, I'll have a companion (granted one I got to choose), and I will be teaching the missionary discussion a LOT. Eventually I get to see my investigators baptized and go through the temple. It is a lifetime missionary calling to a specific and small group of people. The only things I'll miss, is meeting new cultures, languages, and people. Somehow, I'll have to fulfill the yearning desire some other way. But the burning desire I've had to serve a mission for my God can be fulfilled by being a mother.

Quote 5: "There are many things about living the gospel of Jesus Christ that cannot be measured by that which is counted or charted in records of attendance. We busy ourselves with buildings and budgets and programs and procedures. In so doing, it is possible to overlook the very spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ."

Thought: Remember, the gospel of Jesus Christ is not a To-Do list. It's a journey - a pathway. Do I get so caught up trying to do everything I know I'm supposed to, that I don't assimilate the godlike characteristics that those things are supposed to teach?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Testing.